Sous Chef, Full time permanent position
Quanjude is a 150-year-old Chinese restaurant known for its Peking roast duck and traditional Chinese cuisine. QJD Pekingduck (Markham) Restaurant Ltd aka QJD Pekingduck is the first Quanjude branded Peking duck restaurant in North America.
We are now seeking one experienced roast duck Sous Chef. The Sous Chef will assist the Head Chef, supervise specialist chefs, cooks and other kitchen staff to ensure the menu be executed at a high level of performance. The Sous Chef will report directly to Head chef, in conjunction with the Head Chef establish goals for the kitchen, anticipate and resolve problems concerning all facets of the kitchen, anticipate trends, enact approved profit-oriented and cost saving ideas/activities. This position will work closely with the Management team on training tasks.
- Assisting the heads chef in preparing ducks in traditional method before roasting.
- Operating the company's special purpose-built oven.
- Supervise specialist chefs, chefs, cooks and other kitchen staff.
- Train kitchen staff on all new menus by demonstrating new cooking techniques and new equipment to cook staff.
- Assist Head Chef in menu development and execution of new recipe standard.
- Assist in purchasing all food, cleaning, bakery and safety items within budgeted levels.
- Assist Head Chef in regular inspections of the entire kitchen/dishwashing areas.
- Maintaining effective communication within the kitchen and dining room, be responsive to staff suggestions and concerns and work to resolve problems.
- Cook Trade Certificate
- (5+) years of experience as a Sous Chef or Kitchen Manager.
- Relevant experience in Peking roast duck (preferred).
- Relevant experience in operating duck roasting oven (preferred).
- Advanced knowledge of cooking techniques and knife skills
- Ability to supervise 5-10 people.
- Superior organizational skills, detail oriented, must be able to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure and in a fast-paced, physically demanding, team-oriented atmosphere.
Hourly rate is $20/hour for 37.5 hour per week, plus 10 days paid annual vacation and relocation assistance. Work is on location at QJD Pekingduck (Markham) Restaurant Ltd., 7095 Woodbine Ave. Markham, ON L3R 1A3
Please apply by e-mail only to: “[email protected]
Please note that while we thank all applicants for their interest in QJD Pekingduck, only qualified applicants will be contacted to continue the application process.